International Teams: Netball is an emerging sport in the USA and to assist with the development and growth of Netball in America, International teams/participants will have the following entry requirements:
- International teams will be required to provide 2 officials – either 2 umpires or 2 scorers, or 1 of each, in order to get the reduced tournament rate.
- If international teams/participants do not want to supply officials then the team pays the full published rate.
US Teams: Qualification for the membership US Open rate does not allow for breaks in membership nor does it accept participants who only intend to register as a member in order to participate at the US Open member rate. This is not in the spirit of Netball America membership nor is it fair to those members who pay their yearly membership.
Venue: The tournament will be held on 4 indoor courts at the following location:
Alario Center, 2000 Segnette Blvd, Westwego, Louisiana, 70094.
Each court will have its own electronic scoreboard (up on the wall). Each court will also have appropriate seating for registered participants and spectators. Only registered participants may sit in the team benches courtside.
The event will be streamed live and the matches streamed will be from Court 1. We have made every attempt to ensure teams get at least 1-2 games streamed from court 1. Teams and score updates will be posted real-time online. Download the Scorestream app. and stay tuned to the US Open facebook page for more information.
Registration: Up to 12 players per team*:
- Each individual player or team, including coaches/managers (those sitting on the bench) are required to complete registration & pay applicable fees.
- Non-playing registered team officials will be provided with wrist-bands and these must be worn at all times. Umpires will remove anyone from the benches not wearing a wrist-band and the offending team may be penalized.
- Players may only register for one team. Players will not be allowed to play in the ladies and mixed categories. players/coaches may coach teams in another category, however we can’t guarantee that these teams won’t be playing at the same time. If a team has less than 7 and needs to borrow players from another category ie ladies for mixed or mixed for ladies, then this request will be considered by committee and may be granted depending on the circumstance eg. this may not be granted if a team has less than 7 due to a player sendoff. Note- the schedule cannot be changed to accommodate any clashes in games. Also the player has to have at least played one game in the Saturday seeding matches in order to play in Sunday playoff games.
- Every team, official & volunteer to complete a registration form.
- In order for a player to qualify to play for their team in any final playoffs, the player concerned must play in at least 1 game prior to the finals, i.e. a player must play at least 1 game in the Saturday rounds.
- Every participant, official & volunteer required to complete a waiver. Download the waiver. This waiver must be signed by every participant, volunteer and official at the U.S. Open Netball Championships. We would prefer to receive these back in advance. Please email copies to USOpen@NetballAmerica.com. All information on the waiver must be completed. If any information is missing the waiver will not be accepted and the person may not take the court until all information is completed.
*Teams may register more than 12 players per team, however only 12 players are allowed to be on the bench for any one game.
Awards: Trophies will be awarded to:
- Top ranked team in ladies division I
- Top ranked team in ladies division II
- Top ranked team in the mixed category
Other awards will be given for 2nd and 3rd place teams.
The Netball America Cup will be awarded to the top placed ladies Netball America member team. To quality to win the Netball America Cup the club needs to be a fully paid up member of Netball America. Current title holder is CANA New York Storm.
Team Spirit Award – To one team in each category who shows outstanding sportsmanship.
Excellence in Umpiring Award – Awarded to a tournament umpire who shows outstanding qualities throughout the tournament.
1) Time: Captains required to toss and report results to both umpires and score desk before start of game.
Saturday seeding games will run every 20 minutes – 2 x 8 minute halves with 1 minute half-time and 3 minutes between games.
Sunday playoff games will run every 30 minutes – 2 x 12 minute halves with 2 minutes half-time and 4 minutes between games.
Teams will be notified when there are 30 secs and 10 secs remaining prior to the start of the game and the end of an interval. At the 10-second warning whistle, teams must move into playing positions for start/re-start of play.
- If a team fails to take the court by the start/re-start of play, Umpire shall penalize for deliberate delaying of play
- If a team fails to take the court within 1 minute of the designated time for start/re-start of play, Umpires shall award the game to the non-offending team.
3 points awarded for a win
1 point for a draw
0 points for a loss / forfeit
In the event of a draw in the standings, the following rules will apply:
1st tie breaker rule: head to head. Head to head is the result of the game when the 2 teams played each other. If this was a tie then the next rule will occur:
2nd tie breaker rule: Goal differential. Goal differential is calculated by the total number of goals scored minus goals conceded.
3rd tie breaker rule: Goals scored. The total goals scored of the tournament will be added and compared for each team.
4th tie breaker rule: Goals conceded. The total goals conceded of the tournament and the team with the lower conceded goals will win.
Only finals will have additional time played for draws. Time will be 5 minutes each way for 2 halves. If a 2nd tie occurs then it will be the first team to lead by 2 goals.
Games finish at 5pm on Saturday, it will then take some time for the seedings to be finalized. The final seedings will be announced during the Halloween event being held at the Best Western Plus hotel and then posted online at the US Open facebook page. It is teams responsibilities to check these seedings and Sunday play schedules in order to be on time for their games. All teams will be playing at least 2 games on Sunday during the playoffs.
3) Categories: 3 final categories: Ladies Division I, Ladies Division II and Mixed.
Saturday will be seeding games for ladies and mixed teams.
Ladies Saturday seeding will have 12 teams and each team will play each other once. Mixed Saturday seeding will have 6 teams and each team will play each other twice. At the end of Saturday the ladies teams will be ranked 1 to 12 and the mixed teams ranked 1 to 6. For Sunday playoffs the mixed will remain in the one Division while the ladies teams get split into 2 divisions: the top 6 ladies teams will go into Division I and the bottom 6 ladies teams will go into Division II.
4) Officials: Umpires and scorers will be allocated to matches by tournament Director of Umpiring according to performance. Umpires are required to have at least a national B grade Netball America badge, unless otherwise approved. International umpires are welcome and may contact us. Umpires will be provided with a tournament umpire uniform to wear.
5) Teams: Players can only register in one category. A mixed team must have a minimum of 1 male player and may have up to a maximum of 3 male players on court. The males will need to spread out (1 as GS,GA; 1 as either C,WA,WD; and 1 as GK,GD). Teams cannot have 2 males playing GS/GA or GK/GD at the same time. Only registered coaches/managers are allowed on the team bench and non-playing team officials must wear the wrist-band provided at all times. Penalties will apply if this wrist band is given to someone by the team that is a non-registered participant.
If prior to the start of a tournament a team only has 6 players, then a team may request of the tournament director/organizing committee to borrow a player from another division (this only applies for a mixed team to borrow a ladies player or a ladies team to borrow a mixed player). This may be approved by the committee, however this player must play at least one game on the Saturday seeding games in order to play in the Sunday playoffs. However the schedule will not be changed to accommodate any clashes when both of these teams play. If during a tournament due to injury a team is down to 6, the team may apply to the tournament director, however this request will be denied should a team have 6 due to player send offs or a player decision to leave the game.
6) Scorer/Timer: Each court will have its own individual scoring system and courts will run on a central timer.
7) Injury Time: Due to running a central timer no additional time will be played for injury stoppage. If injury time is called a player must leave the court immediately and has 30 seconds to do, unless the umpires determine that it is too dangerous to move a player.
8) First Aid: Qualified medical personnel and masseuses will be provided on-site throughout the tournament. This service is included as part of the tournament so no additional cost to you to use these services. The therapists will be able to strap/tape your ankle/knee etc, however you need to provide your own tape, or pay a fee of $10 to have the therapist provide the tape. If a player is required to go to hospital then a member of their own team should accompany them. Please do not ask any of the US Open volunteers to transport or stay with someone at the hospital. This is a liability issue.
8) Alcohol Policy: Regulations do not permit possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages in public areas.
9) Food Policy: Free water and Gatorade will be provided to participants. Food and beverages will be on sale. No outside food and drinks are allowed due to the venues vendor contracts. Bag checks may be conducted by the venue. The Alario Center has the right to refuse entry to the facility and fine a participant $2,000 should any outside food or beverages be bought into the facility.
10) Tobacco Policy: Smoking tobacco and carrying lit tobacco products is prohibited in all buildings on campus. Smoking must be at least 25 feet of building entrances/exits.
11) Animals Prohibited: Only properly trained & certified service animals are allowed inside.
12) Hotel & Transportation: Refer to the hotel and travel link – http://usopennetball.com/event/travel/ for further information. Teams are responsible for their own transportation to/from New Orleans as well as ground transportation to/from events. This year one of our hotels is immediately across from the venue so you may select that hotel as you can easily walk to/from courts.
The decision of the tournament organizers’ shall be final and without appeal.